Friday 11 November 2011

11.11.11

I have just remembered that I had this letter in one of my adopted photo albums.
This letter obviously meant a lot to the receiver as it was proudly stuck down in one of their albums.

Here’s a photo of the original. (please excuse my rather battered Poppy- It has been proudly worn over my heart since October, hence the appearance!)



Poppy Day 1929
I wish to express to you my sincere thanks for your great help with the sale of Flanders Poppies on Remembrance Day.

 The splendid spirit of service which has involved no small amount of inconvenience is greatly appreciated.
Inclement weather and similar adverse conditions have failed to dampen the ardour of the many helpers who are always ready to aid those to whom the nation owes so much. (Makes me rather teary reading these lines!)

            The amount collected by Luton and the surrounding villages this year was £732.6.2d.

With renewed grateful thanks.

Mayoress .

 ............................................................

Right ho
Off to collect a pile of hankies (and boy do I need those hankies!)  ready for tomorrows Royal British Legions Festival of Remembrance (sat BBC1!) and Sundays commemorations at the Cenotaph! (BBC1 ). I can tell you there won’t be a dry eye in the house tomorrow evening….

Tata all!
Tupney xxxx

6 comments:

  1. Wow! What a grand piece of social history to have in your possession! Thank you for sharing it! I shall be at the Cenotaph on Sunday - i shall be taking a hankie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo ahhh- how lucky are you- I shall look out for you on the telly box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I've sold handmade poppies this year with my craft group.... we raised £1,500! I'm very happy :) I've been to the Cenotaph once, would like to go again one year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that's amazing. It really brings history to life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab find - and what a massive amount of money for them to make as well!! I have just finished writing a post about my Great Uncle, need a good cry now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this kind of thing, so interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Ta very much for your messages folks!

Tickety Boo Tupney xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...