Tuesday 2 April 2013

It's all in the lap of the vintage Gods...


Yesterday I wrapped up warmly, winter knickers and all, and braved another freezing flea. Being Easter Monday meant the sheds were packed out with people (most annoying things they are too!) and when I say packed, I mean packed! Thankfully, I planned my outfit well, and I managed to stand my ground and not get pushed around too much by the drones of bargain hunters with the help of the padded shoulders in my wondrous utility overcoat! Not only do they give you the perfect 40's silhouette and far too many compliments to mention, but they also give much needed protection against the battle ground that is the Antiques fair.
Mild and meek I may be, but dare to push or shove (manners always seem to be lost in such places) then push and shove at you own risk, for it only takes a slight swivel from me for you to feel the full might of a shoulder pad whack! Well, ok its like being thumped by a half stuffed teddy bear, but it represents something far heftier… Yes, my hatred for your (the creature of the flea and not you dear chums) lack of manners!!!
Oh and why do I always find myself apologising to ‘these people’ when I’m not the one in the wrong… s’pose it’s because “I have been brunged up proper like”!!! Anyraods, I’m waffling and all I really wanted to say was that I went to a flea and came home with lots and lots..and lots) of lovely treasures!

I'm not really one to show off my latest spoils as I usually filter them into the blog with a more meaningful post, but today I'm making an exception and is about to do one of those totally indulgent "look at all the loveliness I've found, aren't I lucky" blogs!!!

So, deep breath, here's what I found...


 
 
 
A frantic rummage brought a wonderful selection of Leach-Way and Weldons and a 'Woman' magazine to the surface. All showcase enviable fashions (even in the maternity one!) and the 'Summer Wear' mag came with the pattern for the dress on the left, and to make the deal more jammy, I found that the pattern is complete and in my size too.... what can I say, it was obviously meant for me!
 
Knitting patterns are the key to my heart, so I was chuffed to find these four (plus one other) to add to my ever increasing 'to knit' list.....
 
 
I don't usually look through the autographs, as sometime they can be silly money, but I couldn't resist these ones. They inclued.. Phyllis Calvert, Michael Wilding and Anna Neagle, John Gregson and  Michael Denison...
 
 
Some twenties ephemera (beautiful illustrations are a weakness)....

 

A rather large portrait of a very beautiful society lady taken by a society photographer (well, studio) - fancy eh!. I'm very lucky to know who this gorgeous gal is and I'm planning on writing another post about other relating things in the near future...

Felix (???) and a Victory match book....


 
My most indulgent buy was this book of bound copies of 'Womans Own'.  All from 1944 and are from January to June! This certainly will keep me quiet for some time to come.
  
Two lovely bits of satin cut from a wedding dress which will probably be made into a blouse or something- not sure yet! 
And last but by no means least...
 

Bargain wool, 40's knickers and chirpy sheet music!
I've even started a new project with the wool, but it's on tiddly needles and will probably take FOREVER! :(
 
 
***
 
Phew, what a haul!
I'm rather tired after all that (not half as pooped as I was after the flea, mind you!).
The only downside is that I now have to find 'homes' for it all.... this may take me some time ;  ) and I'm now paying for yesterdays jaunt!
 
Have you bought any treasures lately?
 
Until next time...
 
TTFN
 
Tupps xxx
 
 
 
 
 

14 comments:

  1. ooh, that first knitting pattern is lovely. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous finds :)

    That wool is such a lovely colour

    ReplyDelete
  3. fat booty!
    we wanted also to the flea market, we have a great on the riverside, but then it began to snow ..........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooohhhh!!! Lucky you! All of that is SO FABULOUS!!! So exciting. You must share more on your blog about the magazines. Pretty please?

    Brigid
    The Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, fabby! I do miss having somewhere like this to go to, but probably better for my purse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow great haul, very impressive! Love the bound copies of Women's Own. I couldn't make it over to the Flea which was a shame but I could see the frozen, snowy hills from my flat so that was a bit of a deterrent!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh well done you! What a fantastic haul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What marvellous finds, particularly those knitting patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow the vintage gods certainly had some karma points saved up for you!! If I was the type of person who got jealous, I'd be jealous with a capital J! What amazing finds. Thank you for posting all these glorious photos and letting me live vicariously through them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some fabulous finds, you must be so pleased. I love the knitting patterns, it is always a good day when you find some of them. Looking forward to finding out more about the beautiful mystery lady!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I could read your writing until the cows came home, dear gal. I really mean it. The way you write is so fun, real and (naturally!) delightfully British (I say that as the highest of compliments from a fellow Commonwealth sister over here in the wilds of Canada). I shall be smiling over the picture of your padded shoulders helping to protect you all week :)

    Such a wonderful trove of finds! The Woman's Own magazines must be a total joy to pour over.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. That bound cook of Woman's Own would be worth the trip on its own.

    The King Cole yarn is great stuff; I'm using a load of it for the Wartime Farm tank top and it's really nice. (KC are often overlooked as a brand, but they and Wendy both do excellent yarns at affordable prices.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great finds, those magazines look well worth a read.

    ReplyDelete

Ta very much for your messages folks!

Tickety Boo Tupney xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...