Hello ducks, tis me again…I know, I’m like a bus this week!
I’m back with another outfit post, but this time it’s a R.A.F. Special- fancy, eh!
A while back, can’t remember when, I had the ‘good’ idea of making a R.A.F. themed blouse. I wasn’t particularly sure on how I was going to go about creating this wondrous creation, all I knew was that I wanted it to be covered with raf bits ‘n bobs… well who wouldn’t want a blouse with filled with RAF bits eh?
First, I thought about drawing wing shapes and crests onto fabric using fabric pens or paint, and then I decided that embroidery was the way to go, even though it’s a right royal pain in the posterior. Honesty, I don’t know why I put myself through such trials!
Anyway, I had the perfect pattern in mind (see picture above) and the perfect material stashed away, so I had no excuse to not start….
As the blouse was of the yoked variety, I first drew around the yoke pattern so I could then play around with designs. Seeing as I'm on an embroidery kick at the moment (no idea why as I'm not keen on it!), I raided my transfers I had ready for my patchwork bedspread and chose a simple pair of wings. I scanned it in and jiggled the transfer around a bit- enlarging and decreasing the size so I had a bit of variety....
I then rearranged my bits (ha!) until I was happy with the design, and then stuck them down....
...but before I committed the design to the material, I made sure I was happy with embroidering the wings. Mind you, I wasn't that pleased with the first attempt. I had used two strands and thought it was too lumpy, so used only one strand on the real deal. Oh, and I used carbon paper and a steady-ish hand to transfer the design to the fabric!
I didn't go to town with the stitches as I wanted to keep it simple and quick!
The finished panel.
The original pattern called for a ruffle... well, I made it, then decided I didn't want the hassle of putting it on! Next time I make this blouse I WILL put the ruffles on. I promise!.
The back fastens with little rouleau loops... now they were fun to make and sew... not! :(
... I decided to trim the cuff with ric- rac, and chose a colour to match the wings. I am now officially in love with the stuff!
I even felt stupid taking photo's on my own, hence the book on head snap! So goodness only knows what it would be like if someone was behind the camera!
I must apologise for the unsightly bulges! The skirt is also a new addition to my wardrobe, but because it took me so long to make, I may have put on some weight between the now and the start! The skirt may not have liked being worn over a slip, vest (I have no idea why I put one on) and suspenders either!
As I took the first snap a plane actually flew over... well timed or what!
Nothing interesting though :(
I must admit I'm rather pleased and proud of my efforts. But don't worry; I can still get my head through the opening!!! ;)
Mr Gnome gets in on the action too... he is on the left by the way, 'cause old monkey arms is on the right!
(So sorry for the large amount of 'me' snaps!)
Have a wonderful bank holiday and/or weekend all!
Till the next time,
RAF Fridays so far...