Tuesday 30 September 2014

Thoroughly Modern Tupney!


Oh golly! I should have posted this two months ago… what am I like, eh? Forgetful, obviously!
I’m having one of ‘those days’, so I’m not really sure what to say about it (Confused. Me? Not much!!!) other than it’s a 20s style cotton dress! See how I’m struggling here. Yes, today is not a good day for words, writing, or.... well, anything actually!
 
***



In the summer I went all 'twenties' obsessed again and hankered after an appropriate outfit. I had no fixed pattern for the dress, which was just as well seeing as I didn't have enough fabric to use with any of my patterns. So, I took the bodice from one and the skirt from another. Also, as I was little unsure what the size of a 'small' lady equates to in 20s patterns!, I decided to put the pattern pieces up against an original that actually fits skinnyribbles here. Well, the last thing I wanted was to go to all the trouble of making the dress, then end up looking like I'm wearing an oversized pillowcase!

Anyroad, it turned out I'm indeed a small lady in ye olde 20's patterns- worth knowing, eh?!


 
...Is it just me or does she have a small head?
 
The original pattern called for velvet and lace (yeah, not great for summer), and had a gathered skirt.
I didn't have enough for the skirt, so I used a different pattern for inspiration and then pieced the skirt together. Actually, I far prefer the box pleats... well, on this style, I do!
 
 
 
Teehee, being all bashful in front of Mr Gnome...







There is something so liberating about this style of dress- nothing to restrict, cling or fuss about. It truly was perfection in dress form for the heatwave we were having at the time. Having said that, it did take a while to get used to it. I felt positively naked at the start… thankfully, that wasn’t the case and I soon found its 'roominess' quite the novelty in the heat.  


I absolutely adore the large collar- it reminds me so much of the one my Great Grandmother is wearing in this snap. <3


Collar lined with vintage net...
 


Detail of the armhole facing and pleats on the shoulder....

 


Outfit details:

Dress - A Liberty type print from stash (A Mammy charity shop find)
Shoes - Original 20s. £2 bargain flea fair find.
Scarf - Original 20s/30s. Gift.
Brooch - 20s ( Another Mammy charity shop find)
 
The whole outfit probably cost £5 at the most!
 


 
So, do you like? Or do you prefer my usual 30s/40s spin on things?


I shall now leave you with a relatively modern ditty. It’s rather jolly, isn’t it? No idea why I'm sharing it though!

Anyhoo, I may have to listen to this a few more times to buck my spirits up a bit.

Hope you are all well and 'Tickety Boo'...

TTFN,
 
Tupps xxx

16 comments:

  1. It fits you well but I must tell you that I prefer late 30's-40's fashion. That's just my personnal taste, I don't like the shape of 20's dresses, 30's-40's are more glamorous. This small brooch is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the 1920's style suits you since you're such a skinnie-minnie! (I'd most likely look like a sausage in its casing.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are fortunate to have the perfect figure for 20s. That dress looks great on you. I like your 40s looks the best, though! You look just wonderful in your 40s suits and hats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this era on you! You dazzle!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a gorgeous dress, love all the detailing and it suits you to a T! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks smashing - and for so little cost! You and your Mammy really are brilliant bargain hunters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing sew! I love it and it looks so perfect on you. You're lucky that you can easily pull off the 20s/30s/40s looks with ease and also attention to detail. But if I had to choose a favourite period, I would go for your usual 30s/40s looks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I adore the 1940's, and every outfit you wear that is 40s I drool over ~ I get this look. That dress looks soo easy, comfortable and cool to wear, yet still so put together and charmingly vintage. Like a perfect vintage bohemian style! Very cute. ♡

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this look on you a lot! I am moving away from 40's myself - so I like to see others trying new things too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who knew that it was Mr. Gnome all along who could bring a blush to your cheeks? 30s and 40s is your thing but I love it when you experiment with other eras. Especially the 20s, it's such an interesting time and the fashions were fascinating. I love the low waisted look of that era. And yes, she does have an oddly tiny head.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you look smashing, you have the shape and height to wear this style...I most certainly don't! I need waists.
    The headscarf suits you, too.
    I've always liked to wander through the eras depending on mood. My wardrobe is basically an adult's dressing up box.

    ReplyDelete
  12. (not sure if accidentally posted twice)
    But, I love that dress! It's such a good look on you~

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this 20s style! It really suits you. I find loose, drop waisted dresses really hard to pull off, so I'm always just a wee bit jealous of ladies who can rock it like you do. It's fabulous that you have some great 20s accessories to really set the dress off as well - that scarf, particularly, is really lovely. I hope we get to see more of this, I've also been a bit 20s obsessed lately.
    Cheers,
    Jessica, cakesandcakesvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely change! I don't think the 20s is done enough so I love this fresh look on you!!

    Like Jessica mention, I find it hard to pull of, and I often avoid it myself, but this looks marvelous on you!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  15. This dress looks lovely on you. What a great make!

    ReplyDelete

Ta very much for your messages folks!

Tickety Boo Tupney xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...