Monday 14 May 2012

Miss Baked Bean of 1943

...not again! Why do I always end up looking like I only have one leg?

My latest creation is this baked bean coloured, linen shirtwaister- my Grannie insists it’s rust, but I’m still adamant that the colour is the same as the beanie goodness found in a Heinz baked bean tin! Russet or bean orange, I’m still pleased no end by the outcome of my little sewing fling. I say ‘my’, but Mammy did have to re cut the sleeve heads and armholes (amongst doing other bits too) as the original pattern didn’t fit quite right –yeah, I’m not a normal shape! By this time, old Tuppo here had lost all hope of ever completing it (like most of my projects to date L)- still it’s finished now, thank goodness.  In my defence, I did sew most of it, so I’m claiming it as my victory, well *cough* a victory that couldn’t have happened with out the ‘Ma’s’ expertise!

The original Pattern....

I shall have to state a warning here, as there are far too many photo’s coming up. I just cannot choose which pictures to put up….. When in doubt bung them all on the blog instead, I say!





Sincerely Yours

Tupney xxx

AKA...


18 comments:

  1. You look absolutely wonderful, as always! I wish I was as gifted as you with making clothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Ta very much miss. Not as Gifted in the dressmaking department??? Come now Lindsay, you made that wonderful Playsuit- at least you are able to finish your projects!;-)
      Tuppy x

      Delete
  2. That dress is beautiful and, shade of baked bean or not, you look lovely! Well done you for mastering a Maudella pattern - they're on my "steer clear" pile :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- The instructions on the Maudella patterns are so in-depth, aren't they..... I thinks not!
      T x

      Delete
  3. Just beautiful!! Good job on the frock, and I adore that rust/bean hue. Your hair is so perfect styled as well; such talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, though I think it's a spaghetti hoops orange myself... :) May I enquire about your darling shoes? I'm going to.. Are they original? Keep up the good work on the ole sewing machine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, they are modern, Aris Allen Rugcutters (I think that’s the style), though I don't dance myself! I had those rubber soles thingies put on them so I can prance around the streets and country lanes in them instead! xxx

      Delete
  5. LOVE it!!! Such a fabulous colour and I just adore shirtwaisters from this time period!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're absolutely charming as always! I love your baked bean dress. It's a great color on you! You're making me itch to sew up a few basics.. now, once I have a place I can park my sewing machine. I need to get on it to look for a few more pieces of basement craft area furniture! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two cheers for the baked bean frock! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! What a great colour, well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha, you do make me laugh! It's a lovely dress no matter how the colour is described. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh - looks grand! I love that colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would say definitely baked bean, but none the worse for it, it's a gorgeous dress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I once heard baked beans being referred to as beloveds, so I think it should be renamed The Beloved Dress.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a wonderful colour on you, well done on the baked bean dress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could hire your mum! I know what you mean about Maudella, I used one for a petticoat recently, I managed because I sew but it would have flummoxed a beginner.
    Lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beanz Meanz Tupz.... innit.

    ReplyDelete

Ta very much for your messages folks!

Tickety Boo Tupney xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...