Friday 27 July 2012

RAF Friday- The Box


Well folks, I can’t wait any longer to show off this little box. I’ve had it for quite a while now, and I can’t begin to tell you how much I wanted to show it to the world- I was near bursting point I tell ye! This was a surprise from my Pops, which makes it extra special in my eyes... (So there are some advantages of him working away!)



Doesn’t look much from the outside, does it? Jewellery for men, eh? So Pops, you’ve been buying vintage cuff links for yourself and pretending they are a gift for me then? Whoa, hold your horses young Tupeny, I think you better look inside (That's me talking to myself again!). So look inside I did, and my oh my- someone fetch the smelling salts. ;) I could hardly believe my eyes…. A penny spitfire brooch AND a Perspex heart pendant. Not to mention that it was a New Zealand Perspex pendant too! There was a lot of oohing going on at this point, with a heavenly choir playing in the background!






 
This is where Pa buts in to say “Look in the lid my gal…”
which is then accompanied by even more 'oohing' while I marvel at the inscription…. Quite something isn’t it, she says as she proudly boasts! Sorry, I don't normally like to blow my own trumpet, but I think this is just the bee’s knees when it comes to sweetheart jewellery :)





Cute, huh. Shame I don't know who it belonged to though.
After marvelling at my little treasures, I decided to have a look under the tissue, and this is what I found- even Pops didn't know about this!
It's silver too!

I would like to take this opportunity to say how sorry I am for not keeping to my word last Friday. I was without internet connection for several days, and by the time it reappeared, well it was late (too bloomin’ late) and I was a little preoccupied with sorting for the Black Country. I hope this weeks RAF Friday doesn’t disappoint.
Tatty Bye
Tupney xxx




***
RAF Friday so far....


6 comments:

  1. That is so sweet! I love how it has the name of the officer and the date it was given :). Thanks for sharing, you lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet, I love seeing things like this.
    I have a meager amount of RN sweetheart brooches which I used to wear to WWII events, as my husband always portrayed RN ratings (on leave); one in particular always got a lot of attention.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a terrific treasure indeed (I adore it, too, when you find handwritten notes in a vintage item). I can see why this is so very special to you, and love that you shared it with all of us.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so poignant, what a wonderful find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely thing to have, I wonder what the complete story is behind it. I saw a wings brooch in the jeweller's window in town today but couldn't see a price. It was my husband who spotted it, he's big on old planes and an ex cadet, nearly joined up in intelligence but changed his mind and pulled out at the last. I also had an uncle who did his NS in the RAF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is flippin' wonderful. I'd be all a-swoon if I received this, too x

    ReplyDelete

Ta very much for your messages folks!

Tickety Boo Tupney xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...